CIA offers practice groups for swimmers of all ages and ability levels. Our goal is to develop each athlete to the best of his/her abilities. If you have questions about which training group is correct for your swimmer(s), please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Here are the swim groups:
· Intro - The Intro group is for swimmers who are making the transition between lessons and competitive swimming. The majority of these swimmers are 10 and under. This group practices 3 times per week for 60 minutes per practice. When ready, these swimmers are encouraged to participate in USA Swimming meets.
· Discovery - This group is for 12 & under swimmers who have been on a swim team. The emphasis is stroke instruction and development. Practices are 90 minutes long and offered 6 times weekly. Regular participation in USA Swimming meets is encouraged.
Challenge - This group emphasizes stroke development and refinement, and introduces training. The age range for this group is 10-13. Practices may be either 90 min or 2 hrs in length. Regular participation in USA Swimming meets is encouraged.
Performance - This group emphasizes stroke refinement, training, and competition. Most swimmers are 12 and over. Practices are 2 hours in length. Regular participation in USA Swimming meets is encouraged.
· Senior Select - Senior Select Training Group
The Senior Select group is the highest-level training group for Central Iowa Aquatics. Participation is by invitation by the CIA coaching staff, only. The purpose of the group is to provide swimmers who are at the National level an opportunity to effectively train and prepare to compete at meets beyond the LSC level.
Senior Select Requirements
· Swimmers must be invited and approved by the CIA Coaching Staff
· Swimmers must have met a 2012 Winter Sectional time standard in at least one (1) event in either short course yards, short course meters, or long course meters.
· Swimmers part of the Senior Select group during the 2011-2012 Season will be grandfathered into the group. At the end of the 2012-2013 Season, this clause will expire and swimmers’ inclusion in Senior Select will be reviewed.
· The intent of Senior Select is to compete at National-level meets. Senior Select swimmers are expected to compete at either the Iowa Swimming Championships, Speedo Sectionals, Junior Nationals, or Nationals, depending on having met qualifying standards for these meets.
· Senior Select swimmers who do not participate in these championship meets without prior notice and approval by the CIA coaching staff will forfeit their membership in Senior Select.
· Swimmers are expected to attend six practices per week as part of inclusion in this group. The coaching staff will work to provide Senior Select Swimmers with multiple practice opportunities in order to prepare swimmers to compete effectively at the National level meets.
· Masters - The CIA Masters group welcomes adult swimmers interested in fitness and/or training. This is currently offered monthly but after July 2012, will change to a summer only program (June & July only).
High School Stroke Sessions - High school swimmers have the option to practice with Coach Dave during their high school season. These sessions are held at least once weekly at Central Campus, following the end of late practice. The fee is $100 for any high school swimmer who has not paid an annual fee. You will be charged a one-time fee that covers group stroke sessions during the HS swim season (Sept until early Nov for girls, Nov until early Feb for boys). To participate, you must be currently registered with USA Swimming and attached to CIA. High school swimmers who practice and/or compete with CIA during their high school season must have approval from their high school coach and/or athletic director.